Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21, 2011 in the studio


After selling my monotypes at the last art show, I had to get back to work. I have been watching an interesting leave pattern. I knew it would soon be mowed down so I didn’t feel bad gathering it up. I did learn it is important to take these plants right back to the studio. They wilted before the session began.

My press is a French Tool press. For years I worked as a printmaker for other printmakers and artists. In those days, I worked nine to ten hours days, so my press has a motor to turn the gears. After getting out my Daniel Smith water based inks, I move the gears up to pull up the roller. I don’t need a lot of pressure when pulling monotypes as I do when I pull an etching. I ink the Plexiglas and the session begins. As I have said before, it is a kinetic process. I begin with an idea of what I want and work toward that idea.


Here is an idea of what the process looks like.
Here is the plate ready for the first pull. I soak rag paper and blot it and place on this plate.Here is my press doing its job. The rag paper goes thru the press under pressure. It needs special blankets. I also put newsprint between the paper and the blankets.See the embossing! I love the idea of part of nature captured in the monotype.This is a few of the monotypes that came out of the studio time. Now there are other steps. But today it was a good session.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, they did mow down my patch of grasses during the day. So I got them just in time

    ReplyDelete